Presbyterian worship began at Green’s Shore, now Summerside, about 1853 in the private home of Rev. R.S. Patterson. Other places of worship were the Western School and Brown’s Hall. New church construction began in 1862 on the Joseph Green property on North Market Street. The congregation, at first, was included in the Richmond Bay charge, but became a separate charge in 1871. The first resident minister was Rev Neil MacKay.
In 1966 it was decided to build a new church at our present location of 130 Victoria Road. The dedication service was held on April 2,1969 with Rev John S. McBride presiding as our minister . It was constructed on land donated by Ernest and Minnie Walker.
In 2003 Summerside Presbyterian Church celebrated its 150 th anniversary.
View Published History: To God Be The Glory published in 2003 as an anniversary celebration project of the church. (Please be patient waiting for the download as it is 80 pages in length.)
In 2005 our church was showing signs of aging. Rather than incur large repair expenses, it was agreed that the congregation would demolish it and build a new church.
In October 2011, the first worship service was held in our new church on Thanksgiving weekend. ” Faith in our Future “was our building campaign slogan which truly reflects who we are as a congregation.
Read Article by Mike Walker (2012) – A Church is a People